Monday, September 4, 2017

Book #19: Peyton Place by Grace Metalious


            Episode three here we go! This scandalous 1950s novel was referenced by none other than Rory’s grandfather, Richard Gilmore. Kudos to Richard for being familiar with what many would consider a woman’s novel. I had heard the title Peyton Place before, but was not familiar with the novel or the story. When I saw it appear on the list, I had to search several libraries to find a copy of the book as it isn’t one that is incredibly popular with today’s readers. But, boy, in its day was it a well known book…and not exactly for good reasons.

Peyton Place: The Fifty Shades of Grey of the 1950s
            If I were to compare the impact of Peyton Place to contemporary literary situation, I would compare it to that of Fifty Shades of Grey. Now, Peyton Place isn’t about BDSM and is not an erotic novel, but it sparked a similar controversy amongst mass readers. If you remember whenFifty Shades of Grey came out, you probably remember that it was the book that EVERYBODY was talking about. It was the book everyone wanted to read, but was too embarrassed to buy or read it in public. Mothers would hide their books in their nightstands and teenagers would eventually steal their mother’s copy and read it under the confines of their comforters. Many women, of all ages, did the exact same thing with Peyton Place.
            When Peyton Place was first published in 1956, it shocked people because it discussed taboo topics such as abortion, rape, incest, premarital sex, affairs, etc. Metalious also wrote graphic sex scenes which showed women as more than passive bystanders. She depicted women initiating and enjoying sex; something that was missing from other popular novels of the day. It caused such an uproar that entire towns banned the novel and libraries had signs out front saying they did not have copies of the book (maybe that is why it was so hard for me to find a copy). Ardis Cameron explains the entire history in his introduction to “the blockbuster novel that shocked the nation” (as the cover says). The book didn’t really shock me, but I read it sixty years after it was published and these “taboo” topics are talked about in modern literature. And if you were wondering, no,  Fifty Shades of Grey did not shock me. You want to know what book did shock me the first time I read it: Toni Morrison’s Beloved. But that is a story for another day.

“You must be crazy to teach”
            You would not believe how many times I have heard some variation of the above phrase. Most of the time this phrase is preceded with “I don’t know how you do it. I could never do it.” On one hand they call me crazy, on the other, they give me some credit for doing what I do. I must admit, though, that there is some truth to this statement and people have realized this for a long time. Grace Metalious realizes this in her novel. Amongst all her legitimate characters, there is one sane schoolteacher. The character of Constance, who I find to be the most “crazy” makes a remark about the teacher: “My God! Thought Constance, and there are still apparently sane people in this world who take up school teaching by choice! (49). I think this statement explains how us teachers must be crazy. We aren’t crazy for doing the teaching, most of us are actually quite smart; we are crazy because we CHOOSE to teach. Most of us chose this path and even when we bitch and complain about it, we still love it. This is where we confuse people. As the saying goes, we aren’t crazy because we teach, we are crazy because we like it.


Is it easier to read and write than it is to live?
            The character that resonated with me the most was Allison. She was introverted, creative, sensitive, and passionate about her work. This sounds quite a bit like me. I am a bit more positive than Allison and more social than her, but I connected to her because of her passion for reading and writing. One of my favorite exchanges in this novel is between Allison and her stepfather, Tom. Tom says to her, “The main difference is that it is easier to read or write than to live” (370). Allison responds that the main difference has always been that writing and reading are less painful” (370). This exchange is difficult for me to talk about because I have always found solace in reading and writing. I don’t want to say that it is easer to read or write than to live because that seems to belittle these things. Is it saying that reading and writing are not living? And that those who choose to spend their time reading and writing are not living? I do not like these thoughts. By reading, I get to live many lives and be a part of stories and events I could never do in my every day life as Leigh. By writing, I get to dive into my deepest thoughts and express myself in a way that only I can. Maybe reading and writing are not as painful as living because losing someone in real life whether through death or falling out is a million times more painful than reading about it on a page. But, for me, writing can be painful. Of course, the process can be difficult. It is hard to find the right words to put on the page and sometimes you just hit a block. The most painful part of writing, though, is being honest and getting in touch with your emotions. Sometimes when you write, you have to relive events you want to forget, you image the worst scenarios possible, and you have to be vulnerable. Sharing your writing with people is a scary thing and imagining what they are thinking as they are reading your writing is a horrible thing to imagine.

Overall, I enjoyed this book, but it didn’t strike me in a way that makes me want to scream I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT. If I was twenty-five in 1956, however, I would have eaten this novel up.


Next Up: A Mencken’s Chrestomathy by H. R. Mencken. Should be a taste of something different.

Pictures
Book Cover https://images-na.ssl-images amazon.com/images/I/515bJ5j4FxL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Movie Poster https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BZTNjYWU5NmEtNGFjNC00ZjlmLWExZTEtMzY5MzA1MWE4ZDI2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk3NTUwOQ@@._V1_.jpg
Grace Metalious Writing https://photos.vanityfair.com/2015/06/30/55930e3efa1d030e0ac6a2be_grace-metalious-do-not-use.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment