Thursday, August 24, 2017

Book #18 Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy



Does this look like a butt to anybody else?
            “All happy families are alike, every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way,” is perhaps one of the most famous lines in all of literature and, thus, opens Leo Tolstoy’s massive Russian novel Anna Karenina. You would be lying if you have not heard some variation of that line above; it is used in reference to many stories (and families) today. After all, you don’t go to the movies or turn on your TV to watch a happy family live out their days. That would be boring. As much as all of us loves to see a happy ending, we like the road to happiness to be as complicated as possible. But if you are Tolstoy, you don’t want a pretty house on the hills to be the end of the road. No, you want the car to crash and everybody to end up in a burning blaze. Sorry to be depressing, but Anna Karenina does not have a happy ending.

            Believe it or not, despite this, I am excited to write this post. Even though I did not like this book, I feel like I have a lot to say. (I know, you are probably thinking “Leigh, do you like any books?” Yes, I do. I’ve just read a lot of clunkers lately). Rather than focusing on all the dreary and depressing aspects of this novel and how frustrating a found the characters, I am choosing to focus on the positive aspects. I feel like I need it and probably you too especially, with the kinds of things you see on the news lately.

            One of my favorite lines from this novel comes hiding in the middle of the dense eight hundred-something page novel from Karenin to his young son. He tells him “If you love the work, you will find your reward in that,” (Tolstoy 52). Now, this concept is nothing new to us. We hope that we can find a job doing what we love because if you have to spend your time working, you may as well be doing something you enjoy. No one wants to spend their time doing something they hate or they are not passionate about. But how many people do you know don’t find some happiness in their work? How many people view their job as simply a place of employment; a way to get money? And how many people do you know are actually passionate about what they do day to day even when it is tough? I am someone who is lucky to do what I am passionate about and enjoy doing it. I am not saying that I have trying days or trying weeks or even trying months. Being a teacher is extremely draining and if you are someone like me, who puts their heart into everything they do, you can take mishaps and one foul student’s remarks extremely personally. Despite the difficulties, I can’t picture myself doing anything else and there are so many students who show me kindness and gratitude on a daily basis. There have been days that I have gone home crying so upset over something that has happened at work, but there are also times I find myself in tears because a student has told me about the impact I have made. One student told me at the end of my first year teaching that he never thought he could write a full blown essay at the beginning of the year. By the end of the year, he said he felt confident writing a pretty good essay because of the way I broke it down for him. Moments like these make my heart warm and is the reason why I do what I do. I like helping my students uncover the strength and talents they never knew they had.

            Many of the characters struggle with finding happiness in this novel. No one is happy in their relationships and when it seems like they are, they question it. For example, Levin finally marries the girl he has been pining over for years (Kitty) and his reaction is “Wait, this is it?” Anna runs off with her lover Vronsky and she becomes depressed because she worries that he will have an affair with someone else. These characters just cannot let themselves be happy. I think happiness is somewhat of a choice, if not a complete choice. You don’t wake up one morning and you are magically happy without any effort. For me, happiness is a choice I have to make every day. It is so easy to let yourself get bogged down by what you don’t have and what other people have therefore limiting your happiness. Society has set standards of what it means to be happy; of what and who you need to have in your life in order to be happy. This can be stressful. It is hard to do, but when you start asking yourself what you actually enjoy and what actually makes you feel happy, you can learn a lot about yourself. For me, I often feel the pressure of making others happy, both in my job and in my personal life, but I realized that I am never going to make other people happy if I don’t make sure I am happy first. That is why I take time for myself. I make sure to read a chapter of a book before bed during the hectic days of coaching and teaching because holding a book instantly relaxes me. I keep a relatively consistent yoga practice because it makes me feel strong both physically and emotionally. I make myself some break and bake cookies when I have a chocolate craving because I know it is important to treat myself. I choose to take care of me because I know I am a more beneficial member of society when I am happy.

I know I have gone off on a tangent with this post and have not really focused on the literary aspects of Anna Karenina (I could’ve bored y’all to death on literary realism), but I felt like I had more important points to hit. This post was an important one for me because I really felt like sharing some positivity and encouragement, as it is the start of a new school year. Even those of us who are not teachers or students still need a little boost around this time. I hope you all are happy that and part of that happiness comes from within. You all deserve that happiness <3




Random Tidbits
- I read the sequel to The Shining called Doctor Sleep. It was a very enjoyable book, but it is very different than its predecessor. It holds a faster pace and brings in a different sort of supernatural element. It won’t be a classic like The Shining, but it doesn’t need to be.
- Anna Karenina concludes the books listed in episode two of Gilmore Girls. Only two episodes down in about a hundred something episodes. I got a long way to go.

- I wrote this post while watching the 2012 film adaptation of Anna Karenina with Keira Knightly (boy does she do a lot of period pieces). Honestly, I didn’t pay attention too much, but the music was very soothing.



Pictures
Book Cover 1:https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51vPf2CfSEL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Book Cover 2:http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1339337/images/o-ANNA-KARENINA-facebook.jpg
Movie Poster: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/75/AnnaKarenina2012Poster.jpg/250px-AnnaKarenina2012Poster.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment