Sunday, January 13, 2019

Book #34: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson


            I don’t really know what to say about this book. To be perfectly honest, I did not like it. I know that will offend some people because this book is well regarded and considered a success. But, man oh man, was it painful to read. If you have read any of my other posts, it should be clear that I like a book the best when I can find a connection with one of its characters. I love a fast moving plot, a great mystery, an epic romance, but only when I can see myself in an aspect of one of the character. In Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, I found no connection. I was extremely frustrated with the narrator and all the other characters. I suppose their way of life is so far from my own, that I couldn’t empathize with them. 
It was really hard for me to find a copy of this
book. There weren't many copies in the library,
and I had it on hold for forever!

            The novel is based off of Hunter S. Thompson’s own adventures as a journalist and bases the character of Raoul Duke after himself. Duke, a journalist, and his attorney take a road trip to Las Vegas in the 1970s to cover a motorcycle race. Instead of covering their race, Duke and his attorney roam around Las Vegas while using all sorts of drugs. Name any drug. These two probably used them and mixed them with others. I don’t know how either of them survived let alone drive a car throughout this book since they were hallucinating almost the entire time. As someone who has never even dabbled in drugs, it was hard for me to find any likable traits in these characters. They manipulated people to get what they wanted, stole from innocent people, and just weren’t very nice (even to each other). It seemed like they just expected to get what they wanted without a care in the world.
            Now my major problem with these characters was not the drug use, but the fact that there were no redeemable traits in either of them. There are many down right dirty characters in literature, television, and movies (Amy in Gone Girl, anyone? Joe in You?), but there is always something about them that earns them an ounce of sympathy or there is something about them that makes you go “I kinda like them a little bit, but I don’t know why.” Not in this book. If I had to choose, my favorite part of this book was the illustrations.
  
          But despite my dislike for this book, it has found success. It first appeared in Rolling Stone Magazine, and, later, as a full blown novel. The New York Times claims “it is the best book written on the decade of dope.” I didn’t know there were so many. Maybe I’d like the movie version of this book better. I’m not sure. It seems like Rory isn’t a fan of Hunter S. Thompson either. When talking to Lane, she says “I told Dean he would like Jane Austen, but he was all ‘Forget Jane Austen, you have to read Hunter Thompson.’’’ I would much rather read the most boring Jane Austen novel, than read this book. It seems like Rory would have to agree. And, honestly, this book does not depict my idea of the American Dream. But, as I talked a lot with my students about last year, the American Dream belongs to everyone and can mean something different to each person. Luckily, I am reading a lot of fun books right now as well as the books in the Rory Gilmore Book Challenge. If you want to follow all the books I read, follow me on Instagram at @readwithleigh.

Pictures
- Book Cover #1: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/516ewsQg54L._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
- Book Cover #2: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51I4gm0GH-L._SX306_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment