Saturday, December 2, 2017

Book #22: The Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare

You can’t be an English teacher without some experience with Shakespeare. No doubt we have all read him…or the Spark Notes version of Willy. I’m not stupid, I know a decent amount of students end up reading Spark Notes instead of the actual plays, but a teacher can dream!
            In episode four, Rory is studying for an important English test on Shakespeare. I’m goingThe Comedy of Errors, which also happens to be the first play Shakespeare wrote. Lorelai has Rory recall the date that the play was written (1590) and the date that it was published (1623); however, Rory has trouble remembering the latter. Lorelai, though, has a rule that any date within a hundred years is close enough. My history teacher friends would say otherwise…
to breeze past the subject of Lorelai dating Rory’s English teacher and just focus on the task at hand. Several Shakespeare texts are mentioned in this episode. The first is
            I am fairly well versed in Shakespeare, but I definitely would not say I am an expert. I own a Riverside Shakespeare Complete Works and have spent a couple of weeks studying at Stratford-upon-Avon, but there is so much more that I want to know. Many people groan at the thought of reading Shakespeare because the language is difficult to understand. That is precisely why I enjoy reading Shakespeare! I enjoy the challenge. I find it rewarding to read something that takes me a little bit of time to decipher. It is fun to pick apart the language and discover the double meanings at play. No matter how many times you read or see a Shakespeare play, there is always something new to uncover.
            The Comedy of Errors is a new play for me. I have read several of Shakespeare’s comedies (As You Like It, Twelfth Night, A Midsummer Night’s Dream) throughout my education, but never this one. Perhaps this is because in comparison to Shakespeare’s other comedies, The Comedy of Errors falls a bit short. Don’t get me wrong, it is still Shakespeare so therefore it is still infinitely better than a lot of literature. But it can be argued that Shakespeare plays with similar themes and motifs better in other plays. This comedy is often defined as a farce, a type of comedy that resorts to cheap slap-stick humor and crude jokes. The characters are archetypes without much development. With so many more well developed characters and clever jokes in other plays, The Comedy of Errors just doesn’t compare.

            The Comedy of Errors focuses on two sets of twins who are torn apart from their siblings when they are babies. Sounds confusing, right? It gets more confusing when it is revealed that the twins have the same name. There is Antipholus of Ephesus and Antipholus of Syracuse. Each Antipholus brother has a slave by the name of Dromio so there is also a Dromio of Ephesus and Dromio of Syracuse. This made it confusing to read and the narrative difficult to follow. However, it was necessary that the twins had the same name because it lead to the majority of the comedic situations. Personally, I found the comedy in this play frustrating because you can see what is going to happen before it does. It is like an episode of I Love Lucy. The situation is over exaggerated and repeats itself through the play. Each character is aware that they have a twin so why don't they realize what is going on sooner? How many times do the twins have to As You Like it and Twelfth Night. Shakespeare also didn't have to spend thirty lines comparing the size of a woman’s butt to different countries (“She is spherical like a globe. I could find out countries in her.”). Those thirty lines could have been better spent, but I guess butt jokes just never get old. 
I always wished I could study at Luke's
be confused for them to realize "oh hey, it is my long lost brother"? I think Shakespeare handled the subject of twins much better in
            Shakespeare touches on a fear that reappears throughout literature in this play. I previously discussed the fear of the doppelgänger in relation to The Prince and the Pauper. The fear of the doppelgänger is rooted in the fear of someone not believing that you are you. What happens when even your closest family and friends don’t recognize you as you or believe that someone else is you? It makes you question your sense of self. If the people who claim to know you the best can’t recognize you or tell you apart from an imposter, what does that say about who you are? In many of his plays, Shakespeare focuses on this theme whether it is in his comedies, tragedies, or histories. 

Next on the list is one of Shakespeare’s histories (and tragedies), The Tragedy of Richard the III. This one is also new to me and I am looking forward to reading it as I am also a history buff. 

Some of my favorite lines from this play:

- “If the skin were parchment and the blows you gave were ink,
Your handwriting would tell you what I think.”

- “Every why hath a wherefore.”

- “And now let’s go hand in hand, not one before another.”

Pictures:
- https://ctxlivetheatre.com/static/media/uploads/posters/comedy_of_errors_opt.jpg
- http://www.shakespearesglobe.com/images/9044/normal
- https://watchusplaygames.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/luke-pie-violent-pencil-throwing-rory-gilmore-girls-deer-hunters-episode-4-season-1-screenshot.jpg 

No comments:

Post a Comment