Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Book #14 A Tale of Two Cities

           For someone who was not well versed in Charles Dickens, I have quickly caught up during the past three months. Normally, I wouldn’t think Dickens is the best author to binge read (actually, I’m not sure it's a good idea to binge read any author because then you will get tired of them), but I am glad I am catching up on reading these classics. Especially A Tale of Two Cities!
Out of the four Dickens novels mentioned in Rory’s class during the second episode, this was the novel I was most looking forward to reading for several reasons. One, I remember that I really enjoyed the episode of Wishbone that was based off of the novel. My love of literature started really early. Two, I had heard the famous opening line “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times” many different times (pun intended). I had to see the source material. And, three, this book came recommended by a good friend. I was told to prepare to have my heart broken so, of course, that just made me want to read it more.
            A Tale of Two Cities was different from the two previous Dickens novels I’ve read in that it had a clear plot trajectory rather than just a character study. David Copperfield and Great Expectations both focused on a coming of age story of a young boy and the different people that helped him grow up. However, A Tale of Two Cities is criticized because the characters were flat and lacked the depth seen in Dickens’ other works. I could see that as I read, especially with Lucie. Honestly, she was kind of boring and it seemed like the only reason so many men wanted to marry her was for her golden hair and her purity. Pffffffff. Golden hair doesn’t get you anywhere. Lemme tell you. But, Lucie is at the heart of the novel and a lot of the action is centered around her so I can’t bash her too much.
            The two male leads, Charles Darnay and Sydney Carton, are also criticized for their lack of depth. However, I must argue that they are written this way because it is their actions that speak the loudest. This novel is not meant to be like David Copperfield or Great Expectations. It is meant to capture a specific period in history and these two men epitomize the terror during this time. Of course, there is also a conspiracy theory that Darnay and Carton are Charles Dickens combined; that he put some of himself into both of these characters. I’m not so sure of that, but I do know that authors insert themselves into their characters whether consciously or not. The characters in this novel are not as dynamic as some of Dickens’ others, but they control the plot which is the heart of the story.
            Every good love story has a love triangle. That’s why Twilight, The Hunger Games, and Bridget Joneses’ Diary are such popular books and movies (I know that last one doesn’t really connect with the first two, but, trust me, it has the perfect love triangle). But, is it really a love triangle when one man does not make his intentions known? It seems that from very early on that Lucie and Charles Darnay were meant to be and the central couple of the text. However, Sydney Carton is slowly revealed to harbor a secret love for Lucie. He never takes the chance to tell Lucie how he feels because (1) he doesn’t feel like he is good enough, (2) he hasn’t found his own purpose in life, and (3) Lucie and Charles Darnay are already madly in love. But did Lucie ever have the chance to love Sydney? He never put himself out there or revealed his feelings to her. Maybe he thought he was doing her a favor because he didn’t think he was good enough. But he never gave himself the chance to see if she could return those feelings.
            It is pretty clear that I fall on the Sydney Carton team for the love triangle. I tend to side with the underdog in these situations. I really did like Charles Darnay and would easily claim him as my literature crush for this novel, but Sydney was just more interesting. Sydney had flaws that made him more real to me and unrequited love always makes me feel some sort of way. What really made love him was his action at the end of the novel. SPOILER ALERT. Sydney made the ultimate sacrifice him and gave up his life so Lucie could be happy with someone that wasn’t him. Ultimately, her happiness and safety was more important to him than his own life. And, with that, my heart was broken just like my friend said. Lucie would never know how much Sydney loved him, but his sacrifice saved many lives. I am just going to sob for a minute over this.

Other Thoughts:
- One of my favorite lines was about Sydney Carton: “When he cared to talk, he talked well.” Such a simple line, but with a lot said. I always listen carefully to those who are quiet because when they talk, it is usually very insightful. I wish I was one of those people. Sometimes I am. Other times, I just have a tendency to babble.
- I find it funny that Charles Darnay tells Lucie’s father that he loves her and intends to marry her before he even mentions to Lucie that he loves her. I would find it very strange if a guy told my dad that he was in love with me and intended to marry me before I even had any inkling myself.
- So far, my ranking of Dickens’ works are 1. A Tale of Two Cities, 2. Great Expectations, 3. David Copperfield

Next Time:

            Rory’s teacher mentioned Dickens and these novels because their topic of discussion is the impact English culture had on Russian culture and thenceforth English literature on Russian literature. This will lead into our next book, War and Peace (that one is going to be a long ride), because Charles Dickens was Leo Tolstoy’s favorite author. Wish me luck as I make my way through this 1215 beast of a Russian novel! And now because everyone deserves to look at a puppy...


Images
- Book cover: http://conversationsabouther.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/A_Tale_of_Two_Cities__91605_zoom.jpg
- Comic cover: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f0/CC_No_06_A_Tale_of_Two_Cities.jpg/220px-CC_No_06_A_Tale_of_Two_Cities.jpg
-Wishbone: http://images.paperbackswap.com/l/59/3059/9780836823059.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment